Few weeks ago, I have posted on Twitter that I am interested in examining to what extent consumer-grade EEG headsets could be used in scientific studies. There are few papers out there that test devices but I decided that I need to try them myself to see how good the signal quality is and whether these devices could be suitable for long-term monitoring in clinical trials of our Carolina Center for Neurostimulation.
I will share with you all my insights and thoughts on this journey. Please chime in and share your perspective and tips. This first post summarizes some troubleshooting I had to do to get the MUSE 2 headset to communicate with a Raspberry PI 4, a quite powerful single-board computer (SBC). I felt like back in the days of graduate school (almost twenty years ago!) when compiling code was part of my daily work. As it turns out, there are some fantastic resources out there and please understand that I did not develop anything new here, rather I found the right tools and figured out some quirks to things to work as they should. In the hope that such step-by-step instructions are helpful, here is what I did.